In this inaugural episode, Sarah Kay Bierle chats about her philosophy when approaching history, shares a couple of personal stories, and sets the stage for re-examining historical heroes, legends, myths, visual representations, and more in Season 1 of Historian Life Podcast!
- The big question: does history really inspire?
- “Paul Revere’s Ride” – an influential inspiration in Sarah’s childhood
- How 2020 got this podcast started
- Looking at biographies of people who had inspired me
- Reading about struggles from the past
- “Yes, I believe history inspires, but we need to understand the humanity of those who came before. We need to understand them as people, not as marble statues.”
- Goal for the podcast? Shorter episodes!
- Season 1 – looking at myths, heroes, legends, historiography, and getting a deeper grasp on real historical figures, and how to chat about these ideas with people around us.
- Did you have historical heroes when you were a child and were you as pleased with your heroes when you learned more?